Friday, May 7, 2010

No restrictions, no audience and full access. JAZZ


PHOTOS: FUNAKI
I met Billy while I was leaving my office a few days ago. I heard an amazing sound that immediately caught my ear, but I could not see where it was coming from. It wasn't a sound from a car stereo because I can recognize the sound of live instrument quickly. Then there he was, alone on the corner playing "Misty" and like if guided by spirits I gravitated to the music. People passed him by and I even saw one lady covering her ears. It saddened me to see such talent playing for any spare change a person would throw into his cup, but then I thought, Jazz isn't played in stadiums nor is it for people who buy Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber Albums. Jazz is played in small, dingy low light clubs and on street corners for those who prefer a more pure form of music. Then I realized I was at the right place at the right time. On a corner, just Billy and I and that trumpet blaring into the sky. No managers, no PR people and no audience. Full access, intmate and real. Downright Ruthless Street Photography. Long live america's indigenous art form. Long live Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment